I bet you thought that I was making my breakfast. This was a lot more fun. I spread a layer of oatmeal on 1 yard of fabric that I had dyed with procion dye and then soy waxed and then dyed again. I don't know if you remember but this was the piece that needed something more from my soywax workshop. That is where I decided to use some oatmeal for a resist. Here it is setting out in the sun drying. It was the first day of sun. It was suppose to have dried in a couple of days, but it took seven because it was so cold.Once it dried I cracked it and then put dye and thickener on it. This was in Quilting Arts Magazine. I like the way it has a nice cracked look now.
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Sunday, October 17, 2010
The pattern I used is from Purrfection, 1007 Kimono Jacket and Vest. I had seen it done up by Laura Murray. I like the way it turned out, so now I would like to make up another one from the pattern. Maybe a jacket this time. My husband's niece is turning 21 next month, so I made this for her.I have been collecting old linen napkins from estate sells. I dyed three with procion dye, better black and imperial purple. There is one large one on the back and two in the front that were scalloped on the edge and had cut work on the corners. There is a piece of silk free motioned on under the zipper rose. The loop for the button is a tie that I saved from the old kimonos that I took apart.
I think linings should be interesting. This one has lime green commercial fabric on the back and hand dyed on the fronts. The collar band is painted and batiked.
Thursday, October 14, 2010
Back in August I went to a soy wax workshop and it has taken me this long to finish the pieces up that I started. The top one is sateen cotton with golden yellow and red wine. I used a half of a green pepper and a carved potato for the images. I really like the way this one turned out.
The next one still needs something yet. Avocado/Golden yellow under and then Forest Green on top.
This was a commercial lime green piece of fabric. Used a strawberry basket as one of the images. Then dyed it Imperial Purple.