It was before I started. I got this silk shirt from the thrift store for $3.99. After cutting it apart, it made it easy to reuse the buttonhole and button edge. I used some crepe silk in brick red for the collar and sleeve edges. I used Connie Crawford's Butterick pattern.I used the extra buttons on the sleeves and the tag on the neck for detail on the sleeves. The silk is so light weight, that it will be nice and cool for this summer.
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
I attended a lecture and workshop of Linda Lee's last weekend up in San Jose at the wearable art group PenWag. I bought this pattern. It is very interesting as it is actually made from a square.I had a piece of old silk I had gotten at a estate sale. It was discolored and had some spots and some holes in it. I soaked it three times and got it to come back into a beautiful light peach, but there was still one spot that would not come out. So I dyed it with colorhue dye. I tried to cut around the holes. There was one I couldn't avoid. I also made the mistake of laying the fabric next to where I was mixing the dye and it splashed onto the fabric. So that is where the little roses I made of the same fabric to use for a cover. It is interesting how mistakes and holes force one to be creative and add a new dimension.
Sunday, March 6, 2011
I am enjoying making this shirt in several different ways. This one is in a sheer rayon fabric and has covered buttons. I think I have one more version of this pattern in mind I want to make up. Then perhaps I will have this one out of my system.